Colored sugars add a festive flair to these crisp, delighfully sweet holiday meringues.
4 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
Colored sugars, your choice
- Preheat oven to 225°F (105°C).
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes or until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the egg white mixture onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle each meringue lightly with colored sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Turn oven off. Prop oven door open slightly; let meringues stand in oven for 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- Store cooled meringues in tightly covered container at room temperature.
Makes 1 dozen.