Holiday Poke Cake
Colorful, fun and nostalgic, the "poke cake" been served up for dessert since the 1970's. The classic cake takes on a festive, holiday look with streaks of red and green gelatin. You can also change the flavor/color of the gelatin to fit a specific holiday or special occasion.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
2 cups boiling water - divided use
1 (3.25-ounce) package JELL-O Gelatin, any red flavor
1 (3.25-ounce) package JELL-O Gelatin, lime flavor
1 (8-ounce) tub COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Follow the instructions on the box to cook each white cake layer in a 9-inch round pan. Set cake aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place cakes, once cooled, top sides up in clean 9-inch round pans.
- Pierce cakes with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Add 1 cup boiling water to each flavor dry gelatin (do separately) and mix each gelatin mixture until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour red gelatin over 1 cake layer and the green gelatin over remaining cake layer. Refrigerate both cakes for 3 hours.
- Dip the bottom of "green" gelatin cake pan in warm water for 10 minutes to unmold, then dry bottom and flip "green" gelatin cake onto serving plate.
- Repeat process with "red" gelatin cake pan.
- Frost cake with COOL WHIP.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
JELL-O® and COOL WHIP® are registered trademarks of Kraft Foods.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Kraft Foods.