Lemon Sour Cream Stars
These festive lemon and sour cream star cookies are a fun addition to your holiday cookie repertoire.
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- For Cookies: Beat 2 cups flour, sugar, butter, sour cream, eggs, baking powder, lemon extract, baking soda, vanilla extract and salt in a large mixing bowl until well mixed. Stir in remaining flour. Divide dough into 4 equal portions; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Roll out 1 dough portion on a well-floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Keep remaining dough portions refrigerated. Cut with a 2 1/2 to 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough portions.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For Topping: Microwave morsels and vegetable shortening in a small, heavy-duty plastic bag on HIGH power for 1 minute; knead. Microwave at additional 10 to 20-second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut tiny corner from bag; squeeze to drizzle over cookies.
Makes 60 cookies.
For Sour Cream Cut-Outs: Omit lemon extract; increase vanilla extract to 2 teaspoons. Prepare as above.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.