Pumpkin Cookie Pops
A fun fall treat the kids will love! American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) shares this braces-friendly Halloween recipe.
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup canned or fresh cooked pumpkin
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
20 wooden sticks (tongue depressors or popsicle sticks work best)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine with electric mixer the butter, brown sugar and orange zest. Add the pumpkin, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix.
- Gradually add the flour and spices. Mix with your hands to create a soft dough. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into two pieces. Roll out each piece to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into pumpkin shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and securely insert a wooden stick into the bottom half of each pumpkin cookie.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Decorate with favorite frosting.
Makes 20 cookie pops.
Adapted from www.pumpkinnook.com.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Association of Orthodontists.