Snowday Cookie Shovels
Snowed in? These fun cut-out cookies are a great indoor activity for moms and kids to share together during the snowy winter season.
1 (16.5-ounce) package NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Dough
12 pretzel rods, broken in half
1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels - divided use
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
1/3 cup mini marshmallows
White decorator sprinkles or sugars, sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease three baking sheets.
- Break dough along pre-scored lines. Place 8 squares of cookie dough about 3 inches apart onto each prepared baking sheet. Insert broken end of pretzel rod into each square of cookie dough; flatten dough slightly to form a rectangle. Flatten each square slightly with fingers to form a rectangle, about 1 1/2-inches long by 1 1/4-inches wide. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.*
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately pat sides of each shovel with edge of knife to form straight sides. Cool on baking sheets for two minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Line cooled baking sheets with wax paper.
- Microwave 2/3 cup morsels and shortening in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 45 seconds; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10 to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
- Dip bottom 1-inch edge of each cookie shovel in melted morsels; scraping bottom of shovel along edge of bowl to remove excess. Place on prepared baking sheets. Immediately sprinkle dipped end of each shovel with remaining 1/3 cup morsels, mini marshmallows and sprinkles. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set. Store shovels between layers of wax paper in covered containers at room temperature.
Makes 24 cookies.
*Refrigerating mittens before baking helps to prevent mittens from spreading and retain their shape during baking.
Tip: 1 3/4 cups NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Chocolate Chip Cookie Tub Dough can be substituted for the bar dough. Or, make a batch of homemade Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies. Roll dough into 24, 1 1/4-inch balls.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.