Stained Glass Cookies
These festive cut-out sugar cookies, with colorful candy 'windows', can be eaten or used as holiday decorations.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup or more finely crushed hard candy
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, honey, egg and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with 2 1/2 to 3-inch floured cookie cutters.
- Trace a smaller version of each cookie shape on dough, leaving 1/2- to 3/4-inch border of dough. Cut out and remove dough from center of each shape; set aside.
- Place cutouts on baking sheets covered with foil. Shape remaining dough into ball; re-roll to make additional cutouts.
- Spoon crushed candy inside centers of cutouts.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until candy is melted and cookies are lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool completely before removing from foil.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.