Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Serve warm slices of this festive apple
strudel with vanilla ice cream.
Apfel Strudel (Apple Strudel)
- 4 medium tart green apples, peeled, cored,
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds, chopped
- divided use
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 slice of sponge cake, 10 x 2 1/4-inch
- 1/3 cup rum
- 1 sheet prepared frozen puff pastry, thawed
according to package directions
- Egg Wash:
1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Optional Garnish:
whipped cream and fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 3/4 cup
of the almonds, sour cream, whipping cream, vanilla, raisins,
sugar and cinnamon. Toss gently. Allow to stand at room temperature
for 30 minutes.
- Place puff pastry on a lightly floured,
dry surface. Using a rolling pin, roll until approximately 12
x 6 x 1/8-inch. Place on baking sheet. Place sponge cake down
the middle. Drizzle rum over cake. Place apple mixture on top
of cake. Fold puff pastry over the top and seal. Seal ends, too.
- Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle on remaining
almonds and 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake in middle of preheated oven
until golden brown, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
*To toast almonds, place on baking sheet
and place in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 3 to 5 minutes.
Watch carefully because they can burn easily.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.