Arroz con pollo (chicken with rice) is
a classic Spanish dish also very popular throughout South America.
Arroz con Pollo
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into serving
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 small green bell peppers, chopped
- 3/4 pound plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded,
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 3 cups short grained rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Set a rack over a saucepan of boiling
water, put the saffron in a saucer
on the rack, and let it steam for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is brittle. Remove from heat and crumble
saffron in the saucer. Set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet heat the oil
over medium-high heat until it is hot,
and reduce the heat to medium-low heat. Fry chicken
for 15 to 20 minutes, turning to brown all sides, until
cooked through, transfer to a bowl.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the
fat from the skillet, add the onions
and bell peppers and cook over medium heat heat,
stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, paprika, and
the saffron. Cook the mixture, stirring,
for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring for
3 minutes. Add the broth, heat and simmer the mixture,
stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Transfer
the rice mixture to a shallow 5-quart
baking dish; arrange the chicken over it.
- Bake a preheated 325°F (160°C)
oven for 15 minutes, remove from oven
and sprinkle the peas over all. Return to oven and
continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until the
liquid is absorbed and the rice is done.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.