Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
You can also prepare these with canned
lotus nut filling which can be found in most Asian specialty
Deep Fried Sweet
Wontons (Jar Wonton)
- 8 ounces pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, cashews or almonds
- Rind of 1 large lemon, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, or as needed
- 1 (8-ounce) package wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Chop dates finely and combine with the
chopped nuts, lemon rind and orange juice, mixing well. Add a
little more orange juice if mixture is too dry to hold together.
- Form the date mixture into small 1-inch
cylinders (about the width of you little finger). Place it diagonally
onto a square of wonton pastry. Pick up corner of pastry and
place it over the filling, tucking point under. Roll up the wonton
into a tube so that the filling is completely enclosed, then
twist the ends of the pastry tube, putting a finger in the end
to keep the shape like a Christmas firecracker. Continue this
procedure until all are made.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep fryer until
very hot (about 375°F or 190°C). When hot, fry a few
wontons at a time until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer
with a slotted spoon to a layer of paper towels to absorb excess
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Makes about 30.