Do Be Careful Tea Cakes
Classic Irish sweet buns. Eat hot, and 'do be careful' not to drip the butter on your clothes!
1 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water
3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 large eggs, well beaten
- Mix yeast with water and 1 cup flour in a small bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes to form a sponge.
- Add the yeast mixture to the rest of the flour, salt and sugar. Add in the other ingredients, mix well and turn out on a floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 16 balls. Place them on lightly greased baking sheets and leave in a warm place covered with a damp cloth for 20 minutes to allow them to rise.
- Brush with beaten egg before putting them into the oven.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
Makes 16 buns.