Jamaican Curried Chicken
This delicious curried chicken dish is sure to please your family and friends.
1 whole chicken, about 3 to 4 pounds
Juice of 2 fresh limes
3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups water
3 medium potatoes, washed and cubed
Slices of dried coconut
Fresh pineapple chunks
- Cut chicken in 1 1/2 to 2-inch serving pieces. Squeeze the juice of the limes into a large bowl of water; wash the chicken pieces in the water and drain.
- In small bowl mix the garlic, green onions and ginger; allow flavors to blend for 30 minutes.
- Mix curry powder and allspice with sugar and salt. Rub spice mixture and the garlic mixture onto the chicken. Place in a glass bowl; cover and allow to "marinate" for 1 hour.
- In large heavy skillet, brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat. Add the water and potatoes. As soon as liquid starts to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked, approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Chicken should be tender and juices run clear.
- Dress up curried chicken with accompaniments served with flair. The usual accompaniment is Mango Chutney, but slices of dried coconut, pineapple chunks, orange segments, ripe bananas, will do.
Makes 4 servings.