Pasta e Fagioli
This classic Italian dish, a robust mix of cannellini and macaroni in a light tomato sauce, is ready to serve in under 30 minutes.
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
Salt and pepper
8 ounces dry elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until brown, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
- Add parsley, basil and oregano and simmer until tomatoes soften, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Place pasta in bowl. Toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Pour sauce over and toss thoroughly.
- Serve, passing Parmesan separately.
Makes 2 to 4 servings.