Pasta con Pollo in Zafferano
A delicious Italian dish of pasta with chicken in saffron tomato sauce, courtesy of chef Ken Calascione.
1 pound pasta, short rigatoni or pennete*
2 legs and 2 thighs of chicken
1 (28-ounce) can Italian tomatoes
2 pinches saffron
12 basil leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Rinse the chicken under cold running water, pat dry, and then remove the fat and any excess skin. Dice the onion and tear the basil leaves. Pass the tomatoes through a food mill to strain them and remove the seeds.
- Place the olive oil and chicken pieces in a large pan over low-moderate heat and fry them until thoroughly cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan, set aside and allow to cool.
- In the same pan, add the diced onions and simmer until they become translucent, then pour in the strained tomatoes. Bone and shred the chicken pieces then add the meat to the tomato sauce. Add the saffron, basil, salt and pepper to taste, stir, cover and simmer.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the pasta and cook al dente. Drain the pasta, then add it to the sauce and stir until well incorporated.
- Transfer the pasta to individual bowls and serve with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
*This recipe calls for a short rigatoni or pennete, but adapts well with egg fettuccine or tagliatelli.
Recipe courtesy of chef Ken Calascione.