Roast Chicken Provençale
A Provençal countryside dish of roasted chicken served in a simple garlic-seasoned tomato sauce with kalamata olives and fresh basil.
1 whole chicken (approximately 3 pounds)
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
2 plum tomatoes
1/4 cup kalamata olives
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In an 8 to 10-inch oven-proof skillet roast chicken in middle of oven 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F (175°C). Roast chicken 40 minutes more, or until a thermometer inserted in fleshy part of an inner thigh registers 170°F (80°C), and juices run clear. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and keep warm, loosely covered.
- While chicken is roasting, finely chop onion and garlic separately. Seed tomatoes and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Pit olives and finely slice. Chop enough basil to measure 2 tablespoons and cut remaining leaves into thin strips.
- Pour off all but 2 teaspoons fat from skillet and sauté onion over medium-high heat, stirring, 30 seconds. Add garlic and sauté, stirring, 30 seconds. Add wine and deglaze skillet, scraping up brown bits. Simmer mixture until reduced by about half. Add stock and return mixture to a simmer. Add tomato and olives and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in basil strips and remove pan from heat.
- Cut chicken into 4 serving pieces. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped basil.
Makes 4 servings.