Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Indonesian bean curd omelettes served with
a savory tomato-soy sauce, garnished with sliced green onion.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 firm, ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 squares fresh bean curd
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 green (spring) onions, finely chopped
- Peanut oil for frying
- For the sauce: In a small saucepan, heat
the oil and fry onion and garlic over low heat, stirring frequently,
until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and fry, stirring, for 3 to
4 minutes, or until tomato is cooked to a pulp. Add soy sauce,
water and sugar, bring to a boil. Serve warm.
- For the omelettes: Chop bean curd into
small pieces or mash roughly with a fork. Stir into the eggs,
season with salt and pepper; add the green onions.
- Heat a large skillet, grease the base
lightly with oil and fry the egg mixture in small round omelettes
no larger than saucer size. Make several and keep warm on a hot
plate until all the mixture is cooked.
- Serve immediately topped with the sauce.
If desired, garnish with thin diagonal slices of the green onion.
Makes 4 servings.