Indonesian bean curd omelets served with a savory tomato-soy sauce, garnished with sliced green onion.
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 small onion, very finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 firm, ripe tomato, finely chopped
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 squares fresh bean curd
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 green (spring) onions, finely chopped
Peanut oil for frying
- For the sauce: In a small saucepan, heat the oil and fry onion and garlic over low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and fry, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tomato is cooked to a pulp. Add soy sauce, water and sugar, bring to a boil. Serve warm.
- For the omelets: Chop bean curd into small pieces or mash roughly with a fork. Stir into the eggs, season with salt and pepper; add the green onions.
- Heat a large skillet, grease the base lightly with oil and fry the egg mixture in small round omelets no larger than saucer size. Make several and keep warm on a hot plate until all the mixture is cooked.
- Serve immediately topped with the sauce. If desired, garnish with thin diagonal slices of the green onion.
Makes 4 servings.