Golden Crown Honey Pound Cake
These honey-sweetened loaves of pound cake, laden with maraschino cherries and pecans, make wonderful gifts.
1 cup butter or margarine
3 large eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup whole maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 cup broken pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and flour 3 (6 x 3 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans; set aside.
- Bring butter and eggs to room temperature.
- In large mixer bowl, beat butter on medium speed of electric mixer about 1 minute. Gradually add honey, then sugar; beat 5 to 7 minutes after all honey and sugar are added.
- Add vanilla and lemon peel; mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time; beat after each addition. Scrape bowl frequently.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; mix well. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; beat on low speed only until ingredients are blended; gently stir in cherries and pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes clean.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 3 (6x3x2-inch) loaves.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.