California Asparagus and Lamb Stir Fry
Recipe courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.
1 pound boneless California lamb (from the leg or loin)
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock or dry Sherry
1 tablespoon (Chinese) chili-garlic sauce
4 green onions, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons soy sauce - divided use
3 teaspoons cornstarch - divided use
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound California asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut lamb into long 2-inch wide strips along the grain of the meat, then cut crosswise (across the grain), into thin slices. This ensures tender mouthfuls.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lamb, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch.
- To Make the Sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the stock, the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, the chili-garlic sauce, and sugar; set aside.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil into the hot wok, swirling to coat. Add the lamb and cook, stirring and tossing, until lightly golden, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the hot wok, swirling to coat.
- Add the green onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the asparagus and cook, stirring and tossing, until bright green, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir the sauce to blend and add to the pan. Cook, stirring until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute; cover and cook until asparagus is tender-crisp, about 1 minute.
- Return lamb to the pan and just heat through.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately with steamed rice or rice noodles.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 434; Calories From Fat: 194; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 116mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 42g; Sodium: 657mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.