Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
In this popular Mideastern dish, tender
chunks of marinated lamb are skewered and grilled with crisp
red onion, bright bell pepper and mushrooms.
Greek Shish Kebab
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds lean boneless lamb (leg or shoulder),
trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large mild red onion, cut into 1-inch
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut
into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound whole mushrooms
- In a large nonmetallic bowl, stir together
oil, lemon juice, chopped onion, bay leaves, oregano, and pepper.
Add lamb; stir to coat. cover and refrigerate for at least 4
hours or overnight; stirring several times.
- Lift meat from marinade and drain briefly.
Add red onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms to marinade; turn to
coat, then lift out, reserving marinade.
- Thread meat cubes alternately with the
vegetables on six skewers.
- Place skewers on a lightly greased grill
4 to 6 inches about a solid bed of medium-hot coals. Cook, turning
and basting frequently with reserved marinade, until meat and
vegetables are well browned but meat is still pink in the center,
about 12 to 15 minutes (cut to test).
Makes 6 servings.