Greek Style Boneless Leg of Lamb
Recipe courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.
1 whole boneless leg of lamb (about 5 pounds)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup oregano, dried
8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients except 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Place lamb in a shallow bowl and pour marinade over. Cover bowl and marinate 2 to 3 hours or overnight, turning the lamb from time to time.
- When ready to roast, preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Transfer lamb to a roasting pan and discard marinade.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Reduce temperature to 350°F (175°C) and roast for another 35 to 40 minutes. Check the lamb for doneness. When the internal temperature registers 125°F (51.6°C) to 130°F (54.4°C), it will be medium rare to medium after it is left to rest.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle meat with remaining lemon juice, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut lamb into slices and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.