Lamb Slivers in Pungent Sauce
An Asian-style lamb stir-fry with fresh ginger, garlic, green onions and sweet bell peppers.
1 pound lamb
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons sherry
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup peanut oil plus 2 tablespoons peanut oil
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- Cut lamb across the grain into pieces about 2-inches long.
- Place lamb in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and cornstarch. Rub into the meat and pour in sherry. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, and cider vinegar; set aside.
- After the lamb has finished marinating heat 1/2 cup peanut oil in a wok.
- Fry the lamb briefly, until just beginning to brown; remove and set aside.
- Wipe the wok and heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil to high heat. When the oil starts to smoke, add chopped green onions and thinly sliced green bell pepper. Stir-fry for 30 seconds; add crushed garlic clove and grated gingerroot. When the green bell pepper turns bright green, add the chicken broth mixture. Stir until the liquid boils an reduces slightly. Return the lamb and heat through.
Makes 6 servings.