Recipe courtesy of Karl Bendix, Executive Chef at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado.
3 Idaho® potatoes
5 ounces diced yellow onions
1/4 teaspoon soy salad oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 cup canned diced mild green chile peppers, undrained
2 cups canned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon salt
1 head fresh cauliflower
1 cup canned red kidney beans, undrained
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons garam masala
- Prepare vegetables: Large dice potatoes with skin on, dice onions.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of cumin to the oil. Stir together and cook until onions become soft, golden and translucent.
- Add coriander, turmeric, ginger, garlic, chiles, tomatoes and salt. Let simmer 5 minutes
- Add potatoes, cauliflower florets, beans and water. Ensure that the potatoes are covered with the sauce. Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cooked.
- Stir in garam masala and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.