Baked Mushroom Parmesan
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
4 large Portabella mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup tomato pasta sauce - divided use
4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to broil, with top rack about 4-inch from broiler. Brush both sides of mushrooms with oil. Place mushrooms, gill side down, in a 9-inch baking dish. Broil for 4 minutes, remove and turn gill side up, broil 4 minutes
- Remove mushrooms from baking dish, drain excess liquid.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F (205°C).
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce on bottom of baking dish, then place mushrooms, gill side up. Sprinkle with basil, red pepper flakes and the remainder of the pasta sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown. Remove and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.