Blue Cheese and Portobello Mushroom Ragout
A savory mixture of sautéed shallots and sliced portobello mushrooms served over a bed of roasted vegetables and topped with crumbled blue cheese.
2 teaspoons butter
3 shallots finely chopped
1/4 cup dry sherry (optional)
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried fennel
Dash of ground white pepper
1 cup (1 large) portobello mushroom, thinly sliced
1/4 to1/2 cup (1 to 2 ounces) blue cheese
2 cups grilled or roasted harvest vegetables* (red peppers, squash, asparagus, etc.)
Freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- Add butter to 12-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté shallots over low heat until transparent, approximately 10 to15 minutes.
- Add sherry, broth, salt, fennel and pepper. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Add mushrooms. Cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat. Crumble blue cheese over mixture and lightly toss.
- Spread mixture over vegetables with or without pasta. Garnish dish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Makes 2 servings.
*Note: To roast vegetables, cut into equal sizes. Spread out vegetables on pan in single layer, lightly drizzle with olive or canola oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast under broiler 10 to 15 minutes until blackened spots appear on vegetables.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.