A frittata is an Italian-style crustless quiche cooked stovetop in a skillet. This tasty low-fat version, chock-full of chopped broccoli, diced carrot and reduced-fat cheddar cheese, makes a hearty meal for breakfast, lunch or supper.
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
1/2 cup diced carrot (about 1 medium)
1/4 cup water
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon instant minced onion
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In covered 10-inch omelet pan or skillet with oven-proof handle* over medium heat, cook broccoli and carrot in water until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to break apart broccoli. Drain well. Set aside.
- Evenly coat pan with spray.
- Beat together eggs, milk and seasonings. Stir in cheese and reserved broccoli and carrot. Pour into pan.
- Cook over low to medium heat until eggs are almost set, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover pan, remove from heat and let stand about 8 to 10 minutes or broil about 6 inches from heat until eggs are completely set and no visible liquid egg remains, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve from pan, or either slide from pan or invert onto serving platter.
Makes 4 servings.
*To make handle oven-proof, wrap completely with aluminum foil.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board (AEB) and Egg Nutrition Center (ENC).