Bucci's Insalata Pizza
So simple, yet delicious! A homemade pizza crust topped with olive oil, marinated Roma tomatoes, loads of roasted garlic, goat cheese, chopped fresh mint and arugula.
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Pinch granulated sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 to 6 medium California Roma tomatoes, sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 head garlic, roasted and chopped
1/2 cup goat cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup chopped arugula
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Proof 5 minutes. Pour into mixer bowl. Gradually mix in 2 cups flour and salt using paddle attachment. Change to dough hook. Incorporate remaining flour and mix 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic and let rise 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size. A longer, slower rising time will make a more flavorful crust. Punch dough down. Form into a ball and refrigerate until ready to use. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Marinate tomatoes in 1 tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper for 1 to 2 hours.
- Roll out pizza dough to make a 16-inch circle. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange marinated tomato slices on pizza dough. Dot with garlic and goat cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 500°F (230°C) in a pizza oven for 10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with mint and arugula.
- Cut into desired number of slices and serve at once.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the California Tomato Commission.