Cheese and Broccoli Penne
This colorful Italian-inspired cheesy pasta casserole assembles quickly and easily. The method of cooking the broccoli florets with the pasta during the last five minutes is an efficient energy and time-saver.
3 cups (8 ounces) penne pasta
2 cups broccoli florets
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup pitted, sliced kalamata or ripe olives
1 (16-ounce) jar spicy (or mild) tomato pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook the pasta according to the package directions; add the broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Rinse, drain, and place the pasta and broccoli back in the pan. Add the remaining ingredients, except the pasta sauce; mix well.
- In a greased 3-quart casserole, pour the pasta sauce; top with the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated.
- Broil for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.