Cheesy Creamy Pasta Casserole
As delicious—and almost as easy—as traditional mac and cheese. The difference? An additional touch of nutritious vegetables mixed in a variety of melted cheeses. Dare to serve your family something different!
1 (16-ounce) package any short tube pasta (rigatoni, mostaccioli or penne)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1(12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1/2 cup water
1 (14.75-ounce) can cream-style corn - divided use
1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimentos, drained - divided use
1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled and chopped - divided use
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Chihuahua cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and black pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of white sauce on the bottom of prepared dish. Top sauce with half of pasta, 1/3 of sauce, half of creamed corn, half of pimentos and half of poblano. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Repeat with remaining pasta, sauce, corn, pimientos and poblano. Top with Chihuahua cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 480 Calories from Fat: 170 Total Fat: 19 g Saturated Fat: 12 g Cholesterol: 60 mg Sodium: 700 mg Carbohydrates: 62 g Dietary Fiber: 7 g Sugars: 10 g Protein: 19 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.