Classic Macaroni and Cheese
This dish is a classic twice over—a classic recipe for a classic comfort food—good old-fashioned mac 'n cheese!
12 ounces elbow macaroni
1/4 cup white onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
3 cups (12 ounces) Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar cheese, shredded - divided use
3/4 cup coarse, fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cook macaroni according to package instructions, or until al dente. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In large sauce pan, sauté onion in melted butter for two minutes or until transparent. Blend in flour, stirring well to incorporate, and cook for an additional minute, stirring. Gradually whisk milk into butter and flour mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Over low heat, add salt, pepper, hot sauce and mustard. Stir in 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese sauce and mix well.
- Place macaroni mixture in buttered, oven proof, 9x9-inch dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.