Crispy Mascarpone Rigatoni
Large breaded and fried rigatoni pasta is stuffed with a savory mascarpone filling and served with marinara sauce topped with shaved provolone. Recipe by Chef Jasper Mirabile, Jr.
1/2 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Crave Brothers Mascarpone
1 1/2 cup (12 ounces) Wisconsin Ricotta Cheese
1 cup (about 3 ounces) Wisconsin Romano Cheese, finely grated
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
1 pound large rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
2 cups fine bread crumbs
Olive oil for frying
2 cups marinara sauce (homemade or purchased)
Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1/2 pound Wisconsin Provolone Cheese, shaved
- In medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, ricotta, Romano, mint and cocoa. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- In medium bowl, beat eggs and water together. Dip rigatoni in egg mixture and roll in bread crumbs; being sure to coat ends well.
- Pour 1/4 inch olive oil in bottom of large sauté pan. Heat oil over medium heat. Fry rigatoni until crisp on each side, about 1 minute. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Pipe refrigerated cheese filling into fried rigatoni and place in baking pan; bake for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat marinara sauce. Place a dollop of sauce on small plate and place 5 stuffed rigatoni on top at various angles. Garnish with fresh basil. Sprinkle with shaved Provolone cheese.
Makes 12 (5 piece) servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.