Deep Dish Potato Torta with Peppers and Olives
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Potato Board.
2 pounds peeled white potatoes, halved
3 bell peppers
1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced, coarsely chopped fennel (white bottom part only)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons basil pesto
3/4 pound thinly sliced part skim mozzarella cheese - divided use
1/4 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese - divided use
3 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place potatoes in a steamer basket with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Let cool, then cut into thin slices
- Cut peppers in half, discard stems and seeds. Place peppers on foil-lined baking sheet and flatten with hand. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned and blistered. Wrap peppers up in foil to steam for 10 minutes Remove skin from peppers and cut into strips. Press between several layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Sauté the onion and fennel in olive oil for about 20 minutes or until very soft, stirring frequently. Stir in the pesto and cook for several minutes more.
- Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie plate or springform pan with non stick cooking spray and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Cover the bottom with 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/2 the peppers and 1/2 the cheese. Spread the onion mixture evenly over the top and cover with another layer of potatoes and peppers. Cover the top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with olives.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, tenting the top with foil after 30 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 main dish servings; 16 appetizer servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the U.S. Potato Board.