Eggplant Napoleon with Italian Sharp
A flavorful dish of baked eggplant layered with sliced Roma tomato, Italian sharp cheese, and sliced fennel.
1 eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Italian Sharp* cheese, thinly sliced
1 ounce olive oil, infused with garlic and basil
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, sauté fennel until tender; reserve.
- Spread olive oil on a cookie sheet; arrange tomato and eggplant slices in a single layer. Add salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Using a deeper baking pan, layer the ingredients, starting at the bottom with tomatoes, cheese, fennel, eggplant, then more cheese on top.
- Bake again at 350°F (175°C) for 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
*If unavailable, substitute with fontina cheese.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.