Feta and Mushroom Strudel
with Horseradish-Tomato Salsa
This delicious savory strudel, made with phyllo dough, is filled with sautéed mushrooms, onions and feta cheese and served with a pungent horseradish-tomato salsa.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion or leek
3 cups (8 ounces) mushrooms, sliced
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
3 cups (5 ounces) fresh spinach, cleaned, stemmed or 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
5 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Wisconsin Feta cheese
2 medium tomatoes, quartered
1/2 yellow bell pepper, quartered
1 small onion or 2 shallots, cut in quarters
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil or 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
1 teaspoon salt
- For Strudel: In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion; sauté for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook on high heat until liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper. Chill; reserve.
- Blanch fresh spinach for 30 seconds in boiling water; quickly chill in ice water until cold. Drain and squeeze until dry; reserve.
- Using a towel as a working surface, lay out 1 sheet phyllo; brush lightly with butter. Top with another sheet of phyllo; brush lightly with butter. Repeat with remaining 3 sheets phyllo.
- Along the bottom edge of the long end of the phyllo rectangle, form a line of spinach. Above this line, form a line of mushroom mixture. Next, form a line of feta cheese. Roll up phyllo to encase fillings. Using the towel as a guide, roll away from you to form a log.
- Brush outside of log with butter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet; bake at 400°F (205°C) for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden and completely cooked through.
- Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve each 2 slice serving with 3 tablespoons Horseradish-Tomato Salsa.
- For Horseradish-Tomato Salsa: In a food processor, lightly process tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic and horseradish to form a chunky sauce. Add olive oil, basil and salt; process 30 seconds or until smooth. Cover, then chill. Serve with the strudel.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.