Recipe courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board.
4 large California artichokes
2 cups focaccia or herbed bread crumbs
1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Salt and ground black pepper
- Wash artichokes under cold running water. Cut off stems at base and remove small bottom leaves. Cut off top quarter of
- artichokes; discard. Spread leaves, remove center leaves and fuzzy centers with a spoon and discard.
- Toss bread crumbs with cheese, olive oil, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Stuff bread crumb mixture between leaves of artichokes and fill centers.
- Place stuffed artichokes in a 9-inch square baking dish. Pour 2 cups boiling water around the artichokes. Cover with lid or foil.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 40 minutes or until artichokes are tender. Remove artichokes from baking dish and place on rack; cool to room temperature.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board.