Grilled Vegetable, Feta and Mozzarella Pizza
Unless you have a wood-burning oven in your kitchen, there's nothing quite like the flavor of char-grilled pizza.
1/2 small eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 small red bell pepper, sliced into 1/2- inch rings
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 tablespoons cornmeal
1 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried
1 cup mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare charcoal on one side of a covered grill to medium coals or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Brush sliced vegetables with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange on an oiled grill over hot coals. Cook eggplant and pepper slices 3 to 4 minutes on each side; cook zucchini and yellow squash slices 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove vegetables from grill and set aside.
- Sprinkle a 14-inch pizza pan or a large baking sheet with cornmeal.
- Roll out or stretch pizza dough to a 14-inch circle, forming a small rim around the edge. Transfer to the pizza pan or baking sheet. Drizzle remaining oil over dough; sprinkle with garlic and half the oregano. Scatter the mozzarella over the dough. Arrange the grilled vegetables over the mozzarella. Scatter the feta over the vegetables and sprinkle with the remaining oregano and freshly ground black pepper.
- Position pizza pan or baking sheet away from the hot coals and close grill cover. Grill over indirect medium-high heat 10 to 15 minutes until the crust is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 281, Total Fat 13g, Total Carbohydrates 31g, Protein 9g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.