Herbed Tofu-Mushroom Quiche
The health-conscious may prefer this crustless quiche over the traditional egg-and-cheese variety.
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon light olive oil
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
16-ounce tub silken tofu
1 teaspoon curry powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 medium-size tomato, thinly sliced
- In a medium skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in oil until onion just begins to brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté mushrooms over medium heat, covered, until they are just softened and beginning to give off liquid. Stir in fresh herbs and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place half of onion mixture in a food processor or blender. Crumble in tofu and blend until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tofu mixture, remaining onion mixture, curry powder, salt, pepper and mushroom-herb mixture.
- Oil a 9-inch pie pan. Sprinkle half of wheat germ over bottom of pan. Spoon in tofu mixture and pat to form an even layer. Top with thinly sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with remaining wheat germ. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes, cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Nava Atlas of "In a Vegetarian Kitchen"; www.vegkitchen.com.