Morel Tart and Truffle Poached Egg with
Pleasant Ridge Reserve Cheese
A gourmet delight. This rich, elegant puff pastry tart, featuring morel mushrooms and truffle poached eggs, was created by Chef Franklin Becker.
1 sheet purchased puff pastry, thawed as directed on package
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound fresh morel mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon white vinegar
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons truffle oil
1/4 pound Wisconsin Upland’s Pleasant Ridge Reserve cheese, shaved
Sea salt and cracked black pepper, if desired
- For Tart: Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cut four (4-inch) rounds from sheet of pastry. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- For Morels: Slice white portion of leek and wash thoroughly, changing water at least twice. Melt butter in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add leek, mushrooms and garlic. Reduce heat to low. Sweat ingredients for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add a little water near end of cooking time. Season with salt.
- For Eggs: Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to just below simmering in large kettle; add vinegar. Water should be about 190°F (90°C). Crack each egg into small cup; gently slide into water. Cook until whites are set and yolk is desired doneness, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove with slotted spoon and set gently on paper towel to drain.
- For Final Preparation: For each serving, place puff pastry round on plate. Top with 1/4 of the mushroom mixture. Place egg on top. Drizzle with truffle oil. Top with cheese. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.