Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Rather than wrapping up the mu chu vegetables
in traditional Peking pancakes, ready-made flour tortillas are
used instead. For easier handling, be sure to warm the tortillas
Mu Chu Vegetable
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 to 10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into julienne strips
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 medium jicama, peeled and cut into
- 8 ounces firm tofu, well drained and cut
into 3/4-inch cubes
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- In a small bowl stir together water, soy
sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and bake in a 350°F
(175°C) oven about 10 minutes or till warm.
- Meanwhile, pour oil into a wok or large
skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary
during cooking). Stir-fry gingerroot and garlic in hot oil for
a few seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add cabbage
and zucchini; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, bean sprouts,
and jicama; stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables
are crisp-tender. Push vegetables from center of wok or skillet.
- Stir soy mixture; add to center of wok
or skillet. Cook and stir until thickend and bubbly. Add tofu
and sliced green onions. Gently stir all ingredients together
to coat. Cover and cook about 2 minutes more or until mixture
is heated through.
- Spread warm tortillas with hoisin sauce.
Spoon the vegetable mixture onto each tortilla. Fold over one
side of tortilla to cover some of the filling. Then fold the
two adjacent sides of tortilla over filling. Secure with wooden
picks, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.