Southwestern Vegetable Cornbread Bake
A cornbread crust tops this hearty meatless main dish.
3 medium (3 cups) zucchini, sliced
2 cups (8 ounces) pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 (16-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 (16-ounce) jar thick and chunky salsa
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1 (8.5-ounce) package corn muffin mix
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine zucchini, 1 cup cheese, corn, salsa, beans and garlic in large bowl. Spoon into greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine muffin mix, milk and egg in medium bowl; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop cornbread mixture by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot vegetable mixture. Continue baking for 12 to 15 minutes or until cornbread is light golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese during last 2 to 3 minutes of baking.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: This recipe has a moderate spice level. If you like spicier food, consider using medium or hot salsa and one of the hot and spicy flavors of black beans (do not drain). For even more spice intensity, stir 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped red or green jalapeño chile peppers into the cornbread mixture.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 510 Fat: 18 g Cholesterol: 85 mg Sodium: 940 mg Carbohydrates: 69 g Dietary Fiber: 7 g Protein: 22 g.