A delicious, versatile Greek-style casserole made with phyllo dough, spinach and feta cheese that can be served as a main dish or served in smaller portions as an appetizer.
6 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup butter
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed
4 cups (16 ounces) Wisconsin Feta cheese
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon dill weed
1 cup butter, melted
1 pound frozen phyllo pastry, thawed according to package directions
- Sauté green onions in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add spinach; simmer until almost all the liquid evaporates.
- Crumble Feta cheese into large bowl. Add cottage cheese, eggs, parsley and dill. Mix well. Add spinach mixture; mix until thoroughly blended.
- Layer half of phyllo pastry in a 9x13 inch baking dish, brushing each layer with melted butter. Spread cheese mixture evenly over top of phyllo. Repeat layering with remaining phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 25 minutes.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.