Stir-fried Vegetables with Tofu
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
6 ounces fresh shiitake (stems removed) or white mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
8 ounces broccoli florets (about 2 cups)
1 tablespoon each rice wine vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce
1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
1 red bell pepper, cut into long narrow strips
1 pound firm tofu, cut in cubes
2 scallions (green onions), including an inch of greens, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- Add the oil to a heated wok or large skillet.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the scallions, then cover and cook until the broccoli is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the scallions.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 231; Total Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 1mg; Total Carbs: 16g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 13g; Sodium: 487mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.