Thai Pineapple Stir-Fried Rice
Colorful and luscious, this Thai restaurant classic can be made easily at home.
1 1/2 cups raw long-grain brown rice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
2 cups small broccoli florets
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium red or orange bell pepper, diced
3 to 4 scallions, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
One 16-ounce can unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons minced fresh or jarred ginger
Cashews for topping (optional)
- Combine the rice with 3 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Shortly before the rice is done, heat the oil in a stir-fry pan or extra-wide skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and bell pepper. Turn the heat up to medium-high and stir-fry for 3 minutes or so, just until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add the scallions, tomatoes, and pineapple chunks and continue to stir-fry for just a minute or two, just until the tomatoes soften slightly.
- Stir in the cooked rice, then add the coconut milk, curry powder, soy sauce, and ginger. Stir gently until all the ingredients are completely combined. Serve at once, passing around chopped cashews to top individual servings, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Nava Atlas; www.vegkitchen.com.