Three-Onion Tart with Feta
A delectable tart made with caramelized onions—leeks, vidalia and red onion—and tangy feta cheese.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 leeks, whites parts only, cut into 1/4 inch rings
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
4 ounces, feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 plum tomato, thinly sliced crosswise
Fine bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the Vidalia and red onions, and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine; add the leeks. Sauté‚ for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions are golden and leeks are limp. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs with dill, tarragon, feta cheese, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Stir in the onion mixture.
- Oil a 10-inch tart pan, and line the bottom generously with bread crumbs. Pour in the onion mixture. Place tomato slices on the outside edge of the tart; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley in the center. Sprinkle a light layer of bread crumbs over the entire top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the mixture is set and the top is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 2 servings.