Veggie Pot Pie
Using a prepared whole-grain crust makes it easy to enjoy this comforting classic. A one-wedge serving of this wonderful pie may not satisfy larger appetites, so double the recipe to ensure enough helpings at a holiday meal.
4 medium potatoes
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light olive oil
1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup finely chopped broccoli
2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1/2 cup low-fat milk, rice milk, or soy milk
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
9-inch prepared good-quality pie crust, preferably whole grain
1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs
- Cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins until done. When cool enough to handle, peel them. Dice two of them and mash the other two. Set aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and carrot and sauté over medium heat until both are golden.
- Add the broccoli along with a small amount of water. Cover and cook until the broccoli is tender but not overdone, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the skillet, then pour in the milk, stirring constantly. Cook for a minute or two, until the liquid thickens a bit, then stir in both the diced and mashed potatoes. Heat through gently. Stir in the optional parsley and season with salt and ground black pepper. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and pat in.
- Place the bread crumbs in a small mixing bowl. Drizzle in the remaining teaspoon of oil and stir until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Sprinkle them evenly over the pie. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden. After removing from the oven, let the pie stand for 10 minutes or so, then cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 301; Total fat: 14 g; Protein: 6 g; Carbohydrates: 40 g; Cholesterol: 1 g; Sodium: 226 mg.
Recipe Adapted from Vegetarian Celebrations courtesy of Nava Atlas of "In a Vegetarian Kitchen"; www.vegkitchen.com.