Apple-Cheddar Streusel Pie
Sharp cheddar and sweet apples fill this pie, and a brown sugar-cinnamon streusel makes a meltingly sweet crumble topping. It's traditional, but not too traditional, a great change to a fall family favorite.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 teaspoons butter
1 1/2 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For Streusel: Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal; set aside.
- For Filling: Toss prepared apples with lemon juice. Add cheddar cheese, flour and nutmeg; toss until well mixed.
- Arrange apple mixture in pie crust; sprinkle streusel on top.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
Makes 8 servings.