Apple Mosaic Pie
A tasty apple custard pie with a crunchy streusel topping.
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 large egg, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Prepare Streusel Topping; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine sugar, flour and ground cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Brush pie shell with beaten egg white and bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 375°F (190°C).
- In medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, and salt; stir in remaining egg white, the yolk, sour cream, and vanilla, mixing until blended. Stir in apples.
- Spread apple mixture in pie shell and top and bake 40 minutes.
- Spread Streusel Topping over filling and bake 15 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or chilled.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Protein: 4g; Fat: 20g; Carbohydrate: 46g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 243mg; Cholesterol: 54mg; Calories: 373.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.