Becky's Coconut Custard Pie
An old fashioned coconut custard pie just like grandma's.
1 (9-inch) pie crust
2 cups milk
3 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sweetened flake coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Put the pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate, crimp the edges, and prick in several places with a fork. Bake until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside while preparing the custard.
- In a saucepan, scald the milk.
- Meanwhile, separate the eggs, reserving the whites for meringue.
- In the top of a double boiler, mix together sugar, flour and salt. Very slowly add the scalded milk, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Add egg yolks, whisking vigorously. Continue cooking until the custard is very thick, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Stir in coconut. Pour into the baked pie shell.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, and spread over the pie filling. Sprinkle with additional coconut.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) just until the meringue is a nice golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.