Best Banana Cream Pie
Yes, you can make a pretty good banana cream pie using a pudding mix—but using homemade cream filling—there just isn't any comparison!
1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 to 4 medium bananas
Sweetened whipped cream for garnish
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour or cornstarch, and salt. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the burner.
- Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Return to burner and cook for 2 more minutes; constantly stirring. Remove mixture from the stove; add butter and vanilla. Stir until it has a smooth consistency.
- Slice bananas into cooled baked pastry shell. Top with pudding mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 12 to 15 minutes. Chill for an hour.
- Serve pie garnished with a dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings.