Cherry Jack Empanada
Ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust makes preparation of these fruit and cheese-filled dessert empanadas a snap to make.
1/2 cup almonds, slivered
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crust rounds (2 crusts)
1 (16-ounce) can tart red cherries, well drained, or fresh cherries, pitted
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- Toast almonds 6 to 8 minutes on cookie sheet in oven until lightly golden.
- Unfold both pie crusts on baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine toasted almonds, cherries, apricots, almond flavoring, cinnamon, brown sugar and cheese; mix well.
- Spoon half of mixture onto half of one pie crust round, within 1-inch of edge, leaving other half of pastry round uncovered. Fold pastry over filling; crimping edges to seal. Finished empanada should resemble a half-circle. Repeat with remaining crust and filling.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and milk.
- Brush empañadas with egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut four small slits in top of each empanada.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.