Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Pie
Five words describe this chocolate crunch ice cream pie—cool, creamy, crunchy, chocolaty and delicious!
18 ounces chocolate wafer crumbs - divided use
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 package wax paper
3 cups (18 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips - divided use
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup whipping or heavy cream
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 cups chocolate ice cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a bowl, combine half of the chocolate wafer crumbs and 6 tablespoons melted butter. Press over the bottom and up the sides of a buttered pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with wax paper. Melt 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips with oil in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in the remaining half of the chocolate wafer crumbs. Spread over the prepared baking sheet and freeze until firm, about 10 minutes. Chop into pea-sized pieces; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring cream and 1/4 cup butter just to a simmer. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Spread 4 cups chocolate ice cream (or any flavor) in the crust. Sprinkle half of the reserved chocolate wafer crumb mixture on top. Spread 4 cups chocolate ice cream on top and sprinkle the remaining chocolate wafer crumb mixture on top. Serve with the cream sauce mixture on top.
Makes 8 servings.