Coconut Crusted Sweet Potato Pie
A coconut and macadamia nut crust gives this scrumptious, orange-scented sweet potato pie a tropical flair.
2 1/4 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- In bowl, combine coconut, macadamia nuts and butter; blend well. Press against bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 300°F (150°C) for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool on wire rack.
- To serve, garnish with vanilla flavored whipped cream and fresh mint. If desired, sprinkle with additional chopped toasted macadamia nuts.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 384 Protein 6 g. Carbohydrate 35 g. Vitamin A 16,266IU Fat 25 gm Sodium 98mg Cholesterol 106mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.